A heritage of quality teaching
With a history dating back to 1946, Worcester has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, purposeful research.
We’re a vibrant, forward-looking university, well known for the quality of our degrees with employers actively seeking out our graduates.
As the only higher education institution in Herefordshire and Worcestershire, we have a strong role to play in the region. We deliver degree programmes to nearly 10, 000 students and employ 1, 000 staff.
Worcester has undergone significant change and growth over the last few years, expanding into new subject areas, more than doubling student numbers and investing substantially in staff and new facilities.
Milestones in our history
- 1946: Established as an Emergency Teacher Training College after WWII
- 1970s: Degrees validated by the CNAA, under the title of Worcester College of Higher Education
- 1992: Agreement concluded with Coventry ºüÀêÊÓÆµ for the validation of the Institution’s degree courses
- 1995: Herefordshire and Worcestershire College of Nursing and Midwifery was absorbed into Worcester College of Higher Education
- 1997: Institution gained and implemented degree-awarding powers from the Privy Council for all its taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses and, as a consequence, adopted the title of ºüÀêÊÓÆµ College Worcester
- 2005: UCW awarded full ºüÀêÊÓÆµ status and adopts its new title: ºüÀêÊÓÆµ of Worcester
- 2010: HM Privy Council confers Research Degree Awarding Powers on the ºüÀêÊÓÆµ. Research is a thriving and developing area at Worcester with many successful MPhil and PhD students studying a wide variety of subjects
- 2010: Opening of new City Campus in beautifully renovated former Infirmary. This first rate facility has created a new home for our Business School and transformed a derelict landmark into an innovative centre of learning
- 2012: Opening of The Hive, a joint venture between the ºüÀêÊÓÆµ and Worcestershire County Council. This is an exceptional £60 million facility that will dramatically increase the learning resources, technology, study and social spaces available to you as a ºüÀêÊÓÆµ of Worcester student
- 2013: Opening of The ºüÀêÊÓÆµ of Worcester Arena, a truly inspirational space built to an exceptional standard of universal accessibility
- 2019: Opening of The Art House, an imaginative refurbishment of one of Worcester's most recognisable buildings.